I am back…temporarily. Since my last blog post I have completed my first year of nurse training and I go back to start my second year in a week! I have been staying at home for the summer holidays and working in the local hospital as an auxiliary nurse.While being at home I thought I should make the most of having a proper kitchen to bake in before I go back to the joys of living in student halls.
My Mum’s partiality for a gin and tonic means that there is always a good supply of lemons in the fruit bowl. Therefore I thought I would work with what I had and make something lemony. I have combined blueberries and lemons before in this recipe but this time I thought they might work nicely in cupcake form.
Makes: 12 Cupcakes
For the cakes:
200g Caster Sugar
4 Medium eggs
200g of Self Raising Flour
Grated zest of 2 lemons
`1 punnet of blueberries
For the icing/decoration:
250g of Softened butter
500g of Icing sugar
1 jar of lemon curd
36 blueberries out of the punnet (3 per cake)
Gold leaf (optional)
1.Preheat the oven to 170°C/340 F/ Gas Mark 3
2. Cream together the butter and caster sugar
3. Add the eggs, flour and zest of the two lemons.
4. Mix everything until combined.
5. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
6. Spoon the cupcake mix into the cases either with a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop.
7. Set aside 36 blueberries out of the punnet to be used as decoration. Now coat the remaining blueberries in flour and distribute them evenly among the uncooked cakes.(coating them in flour stops them from sinking to the bottom of the cakes)
8. Bake in the oven for 22 minutes, until the cupcakes are well risen and springy to the touch.
9. While the cakes are baking you can get started on the buttercream.
10. To make the buttercream beat 250 grams of softened butter until it is pale and smooth. Then gradually add the icing sugar a bit at a time and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy (add a dash of milk if it looks too stiff).
11. Once the cakes have totally cooled you can decorate them.
12. Fill a piping bag with the buttercream and pipe blobs on to the top of the cakes (if you don’t have piping bags you can just spread it on)
13. Dollop some lemon curd on the top of each cake and then top each one with 3 blueberries (Gold leaf on the blueberries is entirely optional!)